Monday, August 23, 2010

Week 7, Graduation, the wrong Dr Weitzman

Clover has graduated to to being a quasi-real dog. This is, of course, exciting news. Please see exhibit one, Clover sitting happily outside the front door of a wonderful vet and surgeon he hopes to never need to see again.

I was slightly miffed that I got booked with the wrong Dr Weitzman at Acorn Animal Hospital last week - not the surgeon, but who I assume to be his pleasant, androgynous child. So I wrangled out of work early and drove for hours to just have a regular vet look at and approve Clover's knee. I didn't mind having another vet look at Clover's knee this time, as there was really nothing of note, I had no questions, and it's going strong - but I certainly would have loved to have driven 15 minutes to see Lindsey instead. I believe this was an honest mistake by the receptionist, and though annoyed, I certainly continue to hold the vet clinic in high esteem. I hope to never see them again only because I hope to never need a good canine surgeon again. Oiy.

To celebrate his new found freedom, Clover joined me on a trip to the Wachusett Kennel Club shows this weekend, where I was showing The Spazzy Dog for my friend Chelsea. Merci had no idea who I was for the first several hours (despite living with me for several months earlier this year), but we still managed two Best of Breeds in spite of her, um, antics/neurosis.

I was surprised and delighted at how well Clover's knee held up. I grant you, I was still carrying him up and down stairs, and he slept in his pen in the hotel room, and he spent a good portion of his day sleeping in his crate or hanging out on my lap. But, I was letting him walk around among the vendors (and he did his signature face dive into the first bin of toys he came across), around the rings, a bit outside - and even after two days on concrete, there was no limping. I can't even say the same for myself. He did slow down a bit, but dog shows are always extremely tiring anyway, for all parties involved. I am very pleased.

Meanwhile, I am trying to refill his Temeril allergy medications through an online pharmacy (Drs Fosters & Smith) as they charge nearly half as much per pill as my vet does. But oh, the hoops we are jumping through... more on that one later on. For now, Clover is taking strolls around the apartment complex, and if would get about 65 and stop raining, there will be swimming, too. And maybe, if my camera will cooperate - the much promised pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment