Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Day 13

Clover had his stitches removed yesterday. It went something like this:

Lindsey, my charming local vet, wanders in with the Vet Tech, who is pretty much there for show, since a vet could have done a knee surgery without a sedative and Clover would have remained stoic. Lindsey is the daughter of a nearby IG breeder I've known for some time from dog shows. She is young, pretty, wavy hair, but rumor has it that her love life has been somewhat affected by her honest answer to favorite part of being a vet: Neutering.

Lindsey: "Oh, look at that haircut. He looks like a Portuguese Water Dog instead of a Lowchen this time."

He does. The front leg is less shaved, and they've shaved from ribs, up his tail a bit, and down to his foot. She looks again at Clover standing on the table, head pressed into my hands, hoping if he doesn't move, she won't see him.

Lindsey: "Wow, he's weight on that all ready. How long has it been?"
Me: "Two weeks on Thursday."
Lindsey: "Really? Most dogs are just toe touching around now, that's great."

Lindsey finds her small, angled scissors from a drawer and starts snipping.

Lindsey: "Oh, that incision is really nicely healed. When did he have surgery again?"
Me: "July 8th."
Lindsey: "I'm impressed, Clover."

Lindsey brushes the black remains of sutures into the trash, puts down the scissors, and picks up Clover's knee, and tests the stability, then the range of motion, and furrows her brown.

Lindsey: "I'm sorry, when was the surgery?"

I should take a moment to mention Lindsey is not, in any way, dense. In fact, we have very intelligent discussions about things, and I have great faith in her.

Me: "Twelve days ago."
Lindsey: "I would be happy to see this level of healing, pain control, and range of motion on a four year old dog who was five weeks out of surgery. He's 13 isn't he? Twelve days? I guess bionic suits him."

I guess so. Hopefully the weather clears this week and we can start swimming soon. There's a nice dog friendly (if you don't bother anyone) beach up the road and the dog needs to burn some energy.


PS, I actually attribute his good health and fast healing in large part to his magic green powder. I started taking their spirulina and man, it really is a super food.

2 comments:

  1. maybe i should give berna the longevity stuff. although it would be weird to have an energetic bernadette for once!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have trouble imaging an active Bernadette??

    ReplyDelete